Monday, September 13, 2010

pens



I like writing. Not just in the lame/artistic/"I like to string words together in fancy arrangements" way. I also get a huge amount of satisfaction from the actual kinaesthetic act of pressing a pen nib into paper. Maybe a little too much satisfaction. This is probably the reason I write large volumes of crap - because I just want to make words, and whatever comes into my head goes straight on a page even if I can't think of anything half decent to say.

So I like writing; I like pens. But I am quite particular. I hate writing with "ugly" pens. Pens which I think make my hand writing look ugly. I can be quite obsessive about the kind of pen I write with.

I like the nib to be quite thin. Even the nib on your standard bic pen is too thick, in my opinion. (Bic pens are one of the most hideous kinds of pens to write with and I avoid this wherever possible.) I also like the actual pen to be relatively thin and cylindrical in shape, no weird knobbly bits or grips or anything. It should be a good colour. Slightly translucent is good (opaque plastic is gross). Metal pens can be good. A small, discreet button for the nib to come out; or better still are the pens which don't even have this but just twist. Inky/fountain type pens are lovely but not good for thin paper. But lovely.

I recently ran out of working pens. My last pen ran out of all its ink. Depressing. I figured the two dollar shop would have some because they generally have a large variety. But they did not. All the pens there were big and bulky and awful. It really was quite disappointing. I was stuck with a black bic for the day. I didn't like it.

I went back the next day and same deal. Ugly pens. More depressing. Figured I'd try the supermarket. The supermarket had a small selection. A few which appealed to me. But they were incredibly expensive. Like seven dollars for two pens. No way can I afford seven dollars for two pens. But I was getting desperate. I almost bought them. Then I remembered how much money I have (not a lot) and decided against it. Hard decision. Felt pretty stink about it. Honestly.

Two dollar shop is still being a bitch. Supermarket is still being expensive. Please. Someone rescue me out of my pen situation. It is dire. Truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment