Saturday, September 4, 2010

the day after


There is hair everywhere
I found some in my tea cup the other day
I found some in my drink bottle cap tonight
There has always been a large abundance of hair on my head
Except for before I was born
There is hair in our shower drain
Hair in the school refrigerator
Hair on my dressing table
Hair in my bed sheets
Hair down the bathroom vanity
Hair hiding in the lights of our manufactured stage
Glistening white on girls who are too busy
And too pretty
Your hair looks nice today, I said
And I meant it
And hair in the corners of our carpet
Hair on runaway animals
Who are having hairy blankets knitted for them
From the hair of other animals
Hair on the floors which are lacking in resin
(Perhaps we will use hair to keep our grip instead)
Hair in a hug I gave today
Hair in hugs I didn’t give
Considering cutting my hair
So I can add to the carpet collection
Or donate it to my friend’s poor cat
Who chased after the number seven
Which is supposed to be lucky
Except now she is minus a cat
Hair commercials on television
Old men are urged to find their hair on the radio
I could tell them where their lost hair is
It is everywhere
There is hair in my mother’s scrap book
Hair stuck to the tape of my astronaut helmet
(Although doubtful if it is actually mine –
The hair, not the helmet)
And hair in borrowed clothes
From people whose clothes I don’t even want to be in –
I don’t even want to be in my own clothes anymore –
Hair in the back of my mind
On the back of my head
My mind sitting in the back of my head,
My mind
There is hair in too many places
And I can’t deal with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment