Tuesday, February 14, 2012

pot-luck

The chicken is leaping out of your hand and trying to escape off the plate. But not really, 'cause it's dead. I just imagine that's what is happening as you fumble around with it and it falls out of your hand. I imagine that the falling chicken is acting of its own accord. Rebellious afterlife.

Actually, you just can't hold onto it properly because it's so small. Those little chicken nibbles. "Finger food." How do they make the chickens so small like that? Do they kill baby chickens, or do they just not let them grow or what? I don't get how they're so small. Has anyone even ever noticed that? Like, have you ever thought, Why is the chicken I am eating so small? Probs doesn't matter eh. Tastes the same.

When you've finished there's a pile of tiny little grey bones on your plate. Some of them are not whole bones but snapped in half. Dead end bones that just stop abruptly. I imagine my own bones and how they are like bigger versions of these ones. I have a thigh bone too. But except maybe less grey? I wouldn't actually know. I always imagine my bones as an off-white. But definitely not grey.

So I am on your plate. A miniature version of me is sitting on your plate. You just ate me and now I am all bones. That's what I feel like looking at your chicken-evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment