Thursday, August 5, 2010

a list



A list of things I do which make people worry I will get hurt:

Sitting on the ledge of our upstairs balcony with the window open and my back to the city.

Driving long distances when I am tired.

Balancing standing above the stairs with my left foot on the hand rail and my hands on the ceiling.

Sitting up high in tree branches without holding on so I can read or write.

Walking places, alone, when it is dark.

Walking across the roof near Lydia's front door.

Jumping out of large trees in large skirts to make pretty video.

Climbing big rock surfaces to get better views of beaches.

Speedily navigating stones and bits of wood in water without checking if they're stable or slippery.

Swinging on two or one chair legs instead of sitting how you're meant to.

Hanging from my hips front ways over the edge of hand rails, looking at the ground some distance away, finding where the tipping point is.



When I do these things someone always tells me not to.

I'm sure that in class every day I do stuff which is equally or more dangerous than these things. People regularly get injured from dancing. But no-one is going to tell us to stop doing class in case we get hurt.

I think people should have more confidence in me. They should allow me to judge what I am capable of. If I do get hurt then I will have found my limits and I will know where the edge of me lies. I am more likely to get hurt if I am ignorant to my own capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment