Friday, April 22, 2011

why don't you do something useful with these hands

Sometimes I feel guilty because almost everything I write begins with "I".

It makes me feel selfish. 

But I ("I") take a lot of pleasure in writing in first person.

And if I try to change it up a bit the sentence doesn't sound how I'd like it to. It loses its immediacy.



You know what?

"I" is all I've got.

I am all I've got.

There is nothing else in this world that I actually really know except for what is me, and what I know of the world from being me.

I am the one telling the story. Why pretend it's someone else? I don't want to be "she" or "her" or any sort of pseudonym. There is enough confusion about what is real and what I am, or not, without adding further ambiguity.

Anyone can look at me from the outside but I am the only person who can tell you what I am, inside out.

Without me, there would be nothing to tell you.

Without me there is no story.




("I" count:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment