Thursday, May 30, 2013

My past came tipping back at me
Threefold in a single day
One inviting; one writing; a sighting
Resented
Hoped for
Pleasantly indifferent 

And then the fourth:
Unattached nostalgia.
I thought things you are not allowed to think about children --
But I suppose you're not a child anymore, are you?
And I'm certainly not, wonderful stranger

I, hawk-postured and eighth;
I, lamping your face
with torch and eyes
I would that I were at the coffee table
Just to talk--
and twice, really...

But instead I stood in black
Sat in black, secret scowl
I smiled only with my eyes in that mourning glare 
So you better have been watching closely
(and not just at the lower changes)

Yet, I'd rather my day this order
Than the reverse
For forward to end
Than beginning in order towards harsher words.



No comments:

Post a Comment