Sunday, December 23, 2012

pre-show nightmare

I never have nightmares about 'real life' things (some people have stress-mares about upcoming exams, public speaking etc.) BUT last night I had my first pre-show nightmare.

1. There were HEAPS more people than expected at opening night. This was good.
2. It was all downhill from here.
3. After the first section, about 1/3 the people let. I thought, they must be in the wrong theatre (there are two theatres in the complex we're performing in in Auckland and this occasionally happens).
4. I realised ... WE were in the wrong theatre. The stage was too huge for us and the space felt empty.
5. I realised we hadn't rehearsed. Why hadn't we rehearsed? I mean, we'd done this show before in September but that was four and a half months ago.. why hadn't we rehearsed again?
6. Nothing is happening. A whole bunch of pathetic, low energy emptiness.
7. Arguing with my dancers. Onstage. Semi-audibly.
8. I know exactly what I am doing most of the time but can't remember any partnering. I try to lift Sarah in an improvised moment. Sofia sniggers.
9. There are a lot of Pacific Islander kids and they are getting restless because it's too "alternative"/"pretty"/"not hip-hop". (I'm ashamed at my sleeping racism but there you go.)
10. My lighting designer/operator is not the person I thought and he is lighting everything WAY too brightly and openly, top lights and house lights that are exposing even further the emptiness of the huge stage.
11. It gets marginally better as it goes on but by this stage people are too far gone.
12. We forget the order. I whisper in Sarah's ear: " hair into blanket, duet." We argue.
13. We don't finish at the finish.
14. I don't remember a curtain call.
15. There are lots of really important people in the audience milling around afterwards and they frankly tell me what they think. Mainly concerning the lighting.

I am grateful for this dream as I have woken up super productive and am watching the video to review & develop the piece - something I have been procrastinating for a while in favour of production.

No comments:

Post a Comment