Saturday, August 13, 2011

dear cat

dear Cat,
I love love your violent affection
I love your noble alertness
I love your passive aggressive tendencies, dear Cat
You hold your duties with the utmost responsibility
no-one will stop you
you will save the world
defending the defenseless species homo sapien
one red woollen blanket at a time

dear Cat,
I am going to steal you from your
rickety cane throne
cart you down the hallway
plonk you on the end of my bed and
demand your company.
you will not have a say in this.
don't you shake your whiskers at me, Mister
don't you squint those eyes at me
mister
don't forget --
I am homo sapien
you are merely feline
I don't need saving from red blankets
actuallyI can take perfectly good care of myself, cat.

dear Cat
please come back
I didn't mean what I said
I like you really
I need you, really
(your company, I mean)
this red woollen blanket is going to swallow me up if you
don't come back and sit on it with your gargantuous furry mass
I need all the company I can get
feline variety included

I am only homo sapiendear Cat
I don't know what I'm doing, really
I am violently affectionate of myself
and noble enough that others will take notice of me
I am passive when I should speak, defend
aggressively overcommitted to the many duties of mine I have but don't want
I am without sense of responsibility
(although I do, of course, intend to change the world)
no-one will save us --
Stop the world!
Defend yourself!

you, dear human, need taking care of
and I know just the blanket who can do it

2 comments: