Monday, June 20, 2011

nine shades of



They're painting your room white. It looks very sterile. I can't actually remember what colour it was before. Maybe it was always white. But not like bright, brand-new clean white; just slightly off-grey-ish normal "white". White which we call "white" but isn't actually when you put it next to a piece of printing paper. 


Like the painters' "white" overalls.
"White" bathroom basins.
"White" teeth.
I have a shirt which is "white" except that I've danced in it's so much it's probably more like yellow. Like most teeth.
"White" people are not even white. They were not even white when they used to stand under parasols to avoid freckles. ("Black" people are not black, either.)
Most brides should not be dressed in white (some aren't).
"White" wine is definitely not white.


I think some white lies are not white. Maybe people convince themselves that the lies they are telling are white lies, but they are not. They are very, very black.

Maybe they have eye problems. I don't know. Maybe they are honestly seeing white out of their eyes.

Maybe I have eye problems?

Once in Year 8 I had a friend who told me in art class, "white and black are not colours."
I said, "what are they then?"
She said, "they are shades."

No comments:

Post a Comment