Thursday, November 11, 2010

someone dial 111, this is an emergency!

Shit’s going down in the hallway
at 1:48am
we have drunk ourselves into crumpled faces
doubled over from guilt
as I am I play the mender, I
rushoutofmyroom!
here is what I mean to say:
“shut the fuck up I am trying to sleep!”
here is what I actually do:
fold my arms around the culprit and tell the other very politely
“please don’t hit the wall, I know you’re frustrated but you
can’t just go punching the wall”
now how am I supposed to sleep peacefully knowing there are tears
inches away
our walls are not very thick you know
I can hear heartache better than I can hear dialogue
which includes snippets of
“…fucked me” and “sorry but I..”

Here is what happens to friends: you begin,
you share yourself, your self grows and your arms become part of the other
you forget that your arms belong partly to other people now
they are not your arms anymore
you decide you no longer like your arms
it is time for modification to self and you
try to cut them off
forget about the other body
who is actually now also your body – shit. Problemo.
Incest is quite an issue in our society

See I could sit down too but instead I
choose to lie
“no it’s fine” I say, “…but can you
please be quiet thank you sorry thank you sorry please thank you”
I am so polite
oh sure do I assert my place, I am right and I am
very assertive don’t you worry about that sir
yes I always tell someone if what they are doing is bothering me, I do
not let people push me over, no
in fact just this afternoon I walked a man off the road
I shift bodies all the time, honest
this man off the road, like I said and this
man off my bedroom wall and the semi-broken, well
he shifted her into the hallway
but I played a part in shifting her too when I put my arms on her
I do feel sorry for the ones further out than myself
sorry
I hope it’s a girl
I hope you are ok to drive
do you know if it’s a girl?
a girl would be nice
then we can all be the colour green
although honestly, I know you like green
but I’m not sure if I could like green
I liked it once and I think that is probably enough
but maybe we can work out a compromise whereby
you like green and I just like you?
passive green loving
yeah, that'll work
as long as we do it quietly
because I wouldn’t want to keep the others awake
and they certainly try their best to live

Then it happens
the animal is tearing off its own arms
that hungry feasting on the unknowing air
which I am never quite sure if it’s wonderful or awful
I find it quite hard to tell without seeing
or maybe like he said
“there is beauty in the break down”
but I’m not really sure
I think they call it nostalgia when thinking of happy things makes you sad

Don’t worry everyone, I
have a solution
we are all going to
make it out alive
here’s what we will all do
come now, sit yourself down in the hallway and sit for quite a while
until you feel your backside go numb
that’s a sure sign things are improving
and we can just talk it out
and pretty soon you’ll be laughing,
I promise
there now don’t you feel better already?
yes, smiles all round
there we go
see it's not so bad
everything is lovely and fine
no more tears
everything is
Fine.




Dear God I need a smoke. Who has a lighter?






[Lyrics "there is beauty in the break down" from Let Go by Frou Frou.]



1 comment: